IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT ALL ENTRANTS READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE APA AWARDS.
A. WHO CAN ENTER?
All work must be conceptualised in Kenya (the agency must have a Kenyan address) and the first flighting must take place in Kenya. The agency may use production partners from outside Kenya, such as photographers and TV production companies. All agencies, publishers, production companies, software developers, brands and anyone else who works in the digital space may submit entries - regardless of whether they are APA members or not – if they comply with the criteria relating to specific categories. Entries that are deemed offensive or contain material amounting to hate speech may be rejected at the Jury President’s discretion.
B. CATEGORY RULES
- A piece of work can only be entered in one category. Individual media elements from a campaign may be entered in their relevant categories.
- An entry can however be re-entered into the various crafts. Please ensure you select the correct entry type when creating your craft entries.
- All entries are single elements except for campaign entries.
EXAMPLE: three posters from a campaign must each be entered individually, not several as one entry. If in the opinion of the jury, several pieces constitute a campaign, then these entries will be combined into one campaign award.
- Campaign Entry: Multiple entries for the same campaign can be combined to make up one campaign entry.
EXAMPLE: An Outdoor entry, a Digital entry and a Print entry can be combined into an Integrated Campaign entry.
D. WHAT CAN BE ENTERED?
Work made specifically for and to flight in Kenya - by Kenyan agencies - during the eligible period can be entered into any of the categories.
E. ELIGIBILITY PERIOD
Entries must have been flighted to a substantial audience, during the period 1 January 2016 - 30 September 2017, and an entry may only be submitted into one year, unless meeting the conditions below. To be clear: Work that was entered into the APA Awards 2016 may not be entered again here.
In the case of campaigns that straddle the eligibility period, e.g. if two pieces of a campaign were published prior to 1 Janaury 2016, and three pieces after that, then the full campaign (all five pieces) is eligible for entry this year. If you have previously entered two of the pieces into last year's awards, you can enter all three pieces into the integrated campaign ths year.
F. JUDGING AND AWARDS
- Gold, Silver and Bronze prize may be awarded in the categories.
- Agency in-house/self-promotional work will be awarded no higher than a Silver Prize.
NOTE: This only relates to agency self-promotional work. A brand may enter its own in-house work and this is NOT considered self-promotion (e.g. a car company may enter its own marketing programme).
EXAMPLE: A design agency designing its own logo is considered self-promotion.
- No work created for the APA can be entered.
- The APA may contact the agency, brand, or anyone associated with the entry, during entry processing or during judging, should any questions arise related to the entry.
- The APA will endeavour to move entries to more appropriate categories during entry processing and prior to judging. However it remains the responsibility of the entrant to submit their entry into the correct category and the APA will not be held responsible for entries submitted incorrectly. Entrants will be informed of any proposed changes to their entries. During judging the Jury are not allowed to move entries between categories.
- All entries are subject to the full Terms & Conditions of the APA. Click here to view.
G. ENTRY CREDITS
- Please ensure that all your credits on the entry form are 100% correct.
- These credits will be used on the archive exactly as you have entered them. Once published, no more changes to the credits will be accepted.
H. ENTRY CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
- All requests to withdraw an entry must be made in writing.
- Requests made prior to the Entry Deadline may be replaced with another entry.
- Entries cancelled after the Entry Deadline may not be replaced.
- No Refunds on Entries: Under no circumstances will refunds of any fees or costs relating to Entries or entry into the Awards be issued to Entrants. The fees paid for Entries are intended to cover the costs of administration, processing and judging the Entries and Awards.
- Any Entries disqualified by the APA will not be refunded. This includes duplicate entries and Entries that do not follow the specified rules.
I. APPROVAL & PERMISSIONS
- All Entries must be approved by the relevant client for whom they were produced and all necessary permissions must be obtained.
- In particular, the client for whom the work was created must consent to entry of the relevant work into the Awards and for it to be used in accordance with the full terms and conditions of entry.
- An Entry may not be entered if the work is subject to any agreements with third parties and/or other licenses and the necessary consents have not been obtained.
J. TREATMENT AND PUBLICATION OF ENTRIES
- Property of Entries: All documents, storage media and other material that accompany or forms part of an Entry or are submitted with it will become the sole property of the APA (the Company). The APA will not return any items entered and will not be responsible for any loss or destruction of or damage thereto of whatever nature. the APA shall be entitled to dispose off, destroy, store or exhibit all documents, storage media and other material forming part of or accompanying an Entry.
- Licence: By submitting an Entry into the Awards, the Entrant grants the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, non-exclusive , sub-licensable, unconditional and transferable licence throughout the world to publish , reproduce, copy, transmit, broadcast, publicly perform, display, exhibit and/or otherwise use or reuse the Entry and the Entrant’s name, image, likeness, background and biographical material in any and all media, including, without limitation, any publication, advertisement, marketing or promotional material, print, digital or electronic media, the internet, any broadcast channel on the internet, audio and audio visual media and television or radio station in any manner for purposes of promoting Company and the Awards, by any means by the Company. The Entrant also grants permission to the Company to show, copy or play the Entry at such times as the Company deems appropriate. The Company shall be entitled to make available for educational and reference purposes, including electronic publishing, any Entries. If any television or radio station agrees to telecast a news or other program related to Awards or the Company, the Entrant agrees to obtain any permissions and to bear and pay for all talent or any other applicable charges incurred by inclusion of the Entry in the program, if required. The Entrant waives and shall procure the waiver of all moral rights vesting in or relating to the Entry. The Entrant waives and indemnifies the Company from any and all claims that may arise based on moral rights or unfair competition relating to the Company’s use of the Entry.
- Warranties: By submitting an Entry the Entrant warrants that it is entitled to grant the licence referred to above and that it has obtained all necessary permissions, usage rights and waivers of moral rights from all third parties who contributed to or commissioned the Entry or were otherwise involved in the entry or the production thereof, including without limitation the advertiser whose goods or services the Entry promotes, producers, directors, photographers, illustrators and performers, together with the owners of any trade or service marks or any other intellectual property, whether registered or not, which are included in or form part of the Entry. The Entrant also warrants that the credits and information in the Entry are true and correct and that publication and use of those credits and information will not infringe any moral or other rights of the Entrant or any third party.
- Indemnity and Liability: The Entrant hereby indemnifies and holds harmless the Company, its sponsors and all entities and persons associated with the Awards against any liability, claims, damages, costs (including legal fees and court costs expenses or penalties arising from or relating to any breach or alleged breach of the abovementioned representations and warranties by the Entrant or use of the Entry by the Company. The Entrant agrees that Company shall not be liable for any loss, damage, injury, cost or expense arising from acts or omissions of Entrant, including but not limited to the payment of any money owed to interested third parties, and the Entrant hereby indemnifies the Company against all such losses, damage, injuries, costs and expenses.
The Company, the sponsors of the Awards and all entities and persons related to the Awards and their employees, officers, contractors, consultants and associates shall not be liable for and the Entrant hereby indemnifies and holds them harmless against any claim, liability, injury, cost (including legal fees), expense or penalty suffered or incurred by any person as a result of entering and participating in the Awards or accepting or using any prize.
The Company and all persons and entities associated with the Awards shall not be responsible to the Entrant for incorrect or inaccurate entry of information, human error, technical malfunction or if any Entry is submitted or received late, damaged, stolen, lost, incorrect, directed, undelivered, delayed or incomplete or does not reach the Company.
K. FULL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Please note that the full Terms and Conditions of entry must be accepted by each entrant, during the online entry process. It is not possible to submit an entry without accepting the Terms and Conditions of entry.
- The above listed rules do not include the full Terms and Conditions of entry, which can be viewed HERE.